UK: Collapsing ceilings, rotting chairs and a haphazard mirror -it's troubling to think the home was operating as recently as June 2015. Mediadrumimages/LukeAnon

By Alex Jones


TROUBLING photos from inside one of Britain’s grimmest care homes – where residents were left for OVER A MONTH without a bath and unchecked CRIMINALS were employed – have emerged after the horrendous facility was shut down in 2015.

Unsettling shots of Mossley Manor Care Home, which received a thoroughly damning Care Quality Commission inspection report five years ago, shows black mould and crumbling ceiling plaster surround a threadbare sitting suite, a dank attic room riddled with damp, darkness and echoes of abuse, and collapsing corridors where residents were forced to survive in abysmal conditions.

Other stomach-churning shots show a stately stained-glass window and chandelier – hinting at a more prosperous history before the property became an ‘appalling’ and ‘dangerous’ care home – and a dining room in a highly decayed state for a building which only closed in June 2015.

UK: Urban explorer Luke Anon was dismayed by the shocking state of the home. Mediadrumimages/LukeAnon

The grim photos were captured by urban explorer, Luke Anon, who decided not to give their real name, who was dismayed by the state of the property in Liverpool.

“Residents were still living here four years ago but there’s no way this amount of damp, mildew and decay dates back only to 2015,” the daredevil photographer said.

“I’m something of an expert these days and the home must have been in an awful state before it closed. In almost every room, there’s broken, jammed, or nailed down windows which let a cold wind in. I’ve seen the report for this place and its horrifying – bathrooms with no running water in the sink, a blocked toilet and no plug for the bath. Residents were told there was no option for a bath even if they wanted one.

UK: Residents were left over four weeks without a bath or shower. Mediadrumimages/LukeAnon

“This home was inadequate in all senses – there was danger to life, serious risks of injury and infection, faulty fire alarms damp and rot everywhere.”

The CQC report has a long lists of grievous concerns about the state of the care home, which eventually lead to two brothers Amer Latif and Amjad Latif being fined £82,429.72 at Liverpool Magistrates Court in 2017, where 43 people lived before they were swiftly evacuated following the report’s publication.

There was no hot water in the home with many residents washed using a kettle and washing up bowl in their room. The home was significantly understaffed which left people’s lives at risk, and staff were employed with little or no background checks. Inspectors found that certain members of staff had criminal convictions which had not been investigated by care home managers.

UK: ‘A Mild Suicide’ – one of the books left for residents to thumb their way through. Mediadrumimages/LukeAnon

Residents were also left to smoke near propane and oxygen cylinders – despite a totally unenforced ‘no smoking’ regulation – and on more than one occasion, inspectors had to leave residents’ rooms because the smell of stale urine and body was ‘overpowering’. One resident, who suffered from incontinence, was found in bed at midday after repeating calls that ‘they wanted to die’. The person’s records showed that the resident had not had a bath or shower in the four weeks leading up to inspection and that they hadn’t been washed in any capacity for five days.

Other concerns surrounded the administration of medicine, which was often found to be missing, badly kept or years out of date. One resident has a severe sunburn as nobody had applied sun cream. The only source of entertainment was a TV in the communal lounge that was in a poor state of repair and toiletries were in such short supply that staff occasionally ‘borrowed’ deceased resident’s shower gels.

At the time of the report, a relative of the care home told inspectors that “some of the bedrooms are like a prison cell”, whilst another concerned resident explained that they smoked in their room because “the fire alarms don’t work anyway”.

UK: Rot, mould, and time have wreaked havoc on this sitting area. Mediadrumimages/LukeAnon

When asked about washing, another enraged service user said: “It’s a disgrace. I couldn’t have a bath if I wanted one. There is no plug”, and, “you don’t know what you’re getting for lunch, I just have to eat what turns up, nobody tells you if there is anything else.”

Another resident was found in a room with a broken window which had been taped over, and jammed open with a gap of five centimetres.

“It’s been broken for over a month,” said the elderly service user. “I get cold at night and have to stuff my socks and clothes in the gap at night to keep myself warm.”

UK: Black mould and smoke damage have taken their toll on the house. Mediadrumimages/LukeAnon

Luke Anon was aghast at what had occurred in the once proud property.

“Some of the observations recorded are incredibly shocking, these poor people trying to  survive this home from hell,” Luke said.

“There were some huge holes in the floors and ceilings which meant it was a little dangerous to visit, but the worst aspect was the sick feeling I got knowing that old people that needed loving help and support were suffering in this vile place.

“They didn’t deserve to live like that, and I hope they all went on to better, safer, happier places after experiencing the horrors that have gone on here!”

According to local reports, Mossley Manor Care Home was originally called ‘Elmswood House’, and was built in the 1850s. In 1940 it became a maternity and women’s home for the Salvation Army before changing use in 1970 to a children’s home before eventually becoming the care home from hell.