By Alyce Collins


THIS MUM who was left with just one ovary after beating cancer was distraught to find another lump a year on in fact turned out to be PREGNANT.


Stay at home mum, Makita Allen (21) from Queensland, Australia, had to spend three months convincing doctors to test what they believed was a benign tumour before finding out she had an aggressive form of ovarian cancer.

Savannah (3) Grayson Jay.
Makita Allen /


Aged just 19, Makita found an irregular lump in her abdomen which was incredibly painful and grew to eight inches, making Makita appear pregnant. After moving to Brisbane to see specialist doctors, they diagnosed the lump as a benign tumour containing brain tissue which was releasing hormones causing the pain. Makita was scheduled for a keyhole surgery to drain what they believed to be a benign tumour.


On the day of the surgery, Makita’s doctor informed her that the results from her blood tests didn’t in fact show a benign tumour, but a cancerous tumour which could only be differentiated by the protein measurement in the blood tests. A healthy protein level is a is no higher than 11, but Makita’s blood protein level was 99,980.

Makita’s son was born in April 2018.
Makita Allen /


Three months after finding the lump, Makita was diagnosed with stage three ovarian cancer which was progressing rapidly, and she was to undergo chemotherapy immediately if she stood any chance of survival. Due to the intensity of the chemotherapy, Makita was forced to send her one-year-old daughter to live with a cousin she hadn’t spoken with for years, leaving Makita alone as she fought this battle.


“I first noticed a firmness in my abdomen, which was a little tender when I applied pressure,” said Makita.

Makita with her husband and daughter.
Makita Allen /


“I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle while working out.


“A couple of days later I noticed a tennis ball sized lump protruding from my abdomen which I could cup in my hands. When I went to the toilet it was gone, it was only visible when my bladder was full.

Makita at one year in remission.
Makita Allen /


“My GP didn’t know what to make of it. My gynaecologist sent me for MRIs which didn’t find anything. In all, I had four biopsies which each required me to be under general anaesthetic which came back inconclusive.


“I moved to Brisbane to see better doctors who ran blood tests and tumour markers which came back inconclusive.

Makita on a trip to V8 supercars which was provided by Start Light Foundation.
Makita Allen /


“Another gynaecologist said I had a special type of benign tumour which released hormones causing side effects. He scheduled me for a keyhole surgery to drain and remove the cyst.


“By this time, I looked seven months pregnant with a huge mass that caused me so much pain every day.

Makita, just 20, as she started getting more sick.
Makita Allen /


“In the morning, the surgeon told me that after looking at my chart and blood tests, it seemed I had a type of ovarian tumour that was malignant and doesn’t show up on usual tumour markers.


“It only appears in a protein that occurs in pregnant women. The normal amount is below 11, but mine was 99,980.”

Makita showed a decline in health as the treatment increased.
Makita Allen /


Prior to the surgery, Makita was given the option to have her embryos frozen, which would postpone the surgery by three weeks, but would increase her chances of having any more children. However, due to the speed that the cancer was spreading, she opted not to have them frozen because in another three weeks the tumour would have grown another 4 inches, instead leaving just one ovary behind.


During the surgery, Makita was diagnosed with stage three cancer and surgeons also found tumours on her fallopian tubes, cancer cells in her lymph nodes and appendix, and a tumour on her omentum, which connects the stomach to abdominal organs.

Makita on the day the last of her hair fell out.
Makita Allen /


“My cancer was progressing so quickly, so I wanted to have my surgery as soon as possible,” said Makita.


“All I could think about was my daughter and I started to cry. I didn’t want to be sick, I didn’t want her to have a sick mum.

Makita after surgery, during her two months in hospital.
Makita Allen /


“I felt like my youth had been taken away, but at the same time I knew chemotherapy was the next step, so I thought ‘let’s do it’. I became very focused on the technicalities instead of seeing the picture as a whole.


“It wasn’t until I was cancer free that I finally admitted I had cancer.

The before picture shows Makita’s stomach before the tumour was removed, and the after image is after she had surgery to remove the tumour.
Makita Allen /


“I sent my daughter to a cousin in the Gold Coast, and for the first month I couldn’t see her because she was sick, and my immune system was almost non-existent.


“I will never forget when I finally got to see her because the nurses had prepped us in separate rooms and gave us both a face mask and hair net. I was sat on the edge of my hospital bed waiting for them to bring her in.

Makita with her daughter, when they moved to Brisbane.
Makita Allen /


“We saw each other and ran to one another, I held her so close because I’d missed her so much. I just wanted to kiss every inch of her but unfortunately I couldn’t.”


Makita did three cycles of chemotherapy, having to live in the hospital for two months, before being able to move back home to complete the final rounds of chemotherapy. Makita was able to live with her daughter again, but they had to limit contact and wear masks.


“I was in the hospital for eight weeks and my daughter visited twice in that time,” added Makita.


“When I was finally home I wanted to be her mum, but I felt too sick to move. I felt like I was letting her down, she deserved so much time.


“I finished my chemotherapy four months after starting it and decided I wanted to start a new life with my partner and our daughter.

Makita before being diagnosed with an aggressive form of ovarian cancer.
Makita Allen /

“Five months after the move I noticed a swelling in my lower stomach again and I was absolutely terrified.


“I took a pregnancy test to rule it out since I hadn’t even had a period since my surgery, and it came back positive. I looked in the mirror and cried – I felt so proud.


“My partner and I had always wanted another baby, but we thought after my cancer that it would never happen.


“My second pregnancy wasn’t problem-free. I started bleeding heavily at five weeks and was told I had a haematoma which was reoccurring, and the bleeding continued for five weeks.

Makita with her daughter, Savannah, before her diagnosis.
Makita Allen /

“After a hectic pregnancy where we had to see a specialist every two weeks to make sure he wasn’t affected by the chemotherapy, my baby boy was born in April and we couldn’t be happier.”


Makita had to face an almighty battle in the last two years, overcoming everything to come out of it stronger. Although looking back at that phase of her life is difficult for Makita, she is learning how to cope with it and turn the emotion into a strength.


“It was a lonely experience, but it taught me so much,” Makita said.


“I no longer take my life for granted. I cherish every moment I get to hold my babies and I’m motivated to be someone better.

Makita with her daughter, Savannah, during her second pregnancy.
Makita Allen /


“During that time, I pushed out a lot of emotion which made me feel numb, but all of that emotion has caught up with me and I’m still learning to cope with it healthily.


“I’m more compassionate and more empowered now. I believe I have a place in this world and I was given this experience to make me appreciate my life and be grateful for how lucky I am.


“You cannot know happiness without knowing sadness, and you cannot achieve a full life until you have experienced emptiness.”


You can find out more about Makita’s inspirational recovery by visiting her Instagram page, @kitaaallen.